Friday, September 5, 2008

Thorney Island Open for Business


I was really looking forward to taking part in my first official "Fly-in", Thorney Island East of Portsmouth on Sat 30th Augt.

I'd got my entry in, made a charity donation "Help for Heroes" and then disaster the main fuel tank on G-MVCC a Shadow C-D decided to delaminate. A frantic week followed, spare tank located (thanks David), lots of spares ordered and copious amounts fuel resistant filler applied!

I left it a bit late but by mid-morning on Sat 30th everything was back together and seemingly working perfectly. That said I wasn't going to head off West without carrying out a quick check flight. 20 minutes later and I was back and feeling greatly relieved to find that everything had held together well and no leaks had appeared.

As Thorney Island was going to be fueless and my little Charlie Charlie (CC) doesn't have the worlds greatest range an extra 20 litres of fuel was strapped into the rear compartment, final checks carried out and I was off.

It was a busy day in the skies of the South East what with the Shoreham and Bournemouth Air Shows and a sea front festival at Littlehampton all requiring their own allotted space and of course lots of traffic moving between the venues (more of that in part two).

A rather dog legged route was planned to keep me clear of all the temporary and standard danger areas and within 45 mins I could see the coast South of Chichester with Thorney Island sandwiched between the Witterings and Hayling Island. A quick call to Thorney Island radio on the microlight frequency produced...silence, bugger. Two more tries and nothing. I knew they were out there as I heard others calling in and clear responses. Nothing for it by but to check all the connections and fly a little closer. 5 mins later success, contact made and I'm heading for the overhead that sounded like it was a little busy.

For any low hours pilot, which I am, this is always the most scary part having to locate and establish a circuit at a new location especially one like Thorney Island which is going to be pretty unknown to nearly everyone taking part.

Called overhead at 2000ft and headed for the downwind side. A couple of other aircraft were in the circuit but with plenty of separation. Nice easy decent to circuit height at 1000 ft and quick call to confirm position.

Flying downwind alongside the runway showed plenty of arrivals already on site and a nice long concrete runway although the displaced threshold looked a little chopped up to say the least, will need to watch for that.

Right base established over Emsworth Channel and then onto finals for runway 12. Wind straight down the runway so just need to concentrate on my height and the centre line. I could see lots of people lined up alongside the runway so no pressure there then. I was a little low so power on, over the threshold clear of the markings, power off and round out. Nice landing for once, what a relief no embarrassing Kangarooing on this occasion. Quick check on where they want me to park and after a short cross country section I manage to squeeze CC into the line...aah that wasn't too bad.

OK so I had made it to Thorney Island without too much trouble and it looked like a damn good turn out. It certainly looked like as many people as possible had gone for the Saturday rather than risk being blown or rained out on the Sunday.

Well time to go and see who else had made it and check out the refreshments situation, oh yes and sign in and locate the designated bushes, no expense spared at these fly-ins you know!

That's part one, close encounters to follow in part two!

No comments: